Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Magic Lies Behind the Walls

London is an incredibly vast city, and it seems to be growing.  Nearly everywhere you look, there’s a giant crane looming in the sky.  Obviously I haven’t stayed here long enough to grow frustrated by all this construction, but, from what I gather, the English seem bent on making improvements.  New buildings are being erected, and certain Underground terminals are changing for citizens’ convenience.  In the United States, we only maintain roads, and maintenance seems like a euphemism for inconvenience. 
           
Some parts of London, like Oxford Street or Piccadilly Circus remind me the bright lights of New York City.  All you can do in those spots is avoid pedestrians and shop for clothes.  I don’t understand the allure in that for travelers.  I prefer to stroll down the quiet backstreets filled with row-houses where famous-but-not-too-famous artists like Carol Reed used to live.  Or I prefer a promenade through one of London’s many parks, which are extremely well managed.  I constantly see greens-keepers mowing the grass or mending the flower beds.  London’s gardens, like its people, are extremely well-kept and civilized. 

And then there are the touristy places like Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, and Big Ben.  All of these places are cool to see the first time in real life rather than seeing them from afar, say, in post cards or travel magazines or desktop backgrounds.  I suppose it’s nice to validate the existence of the Tower Bridge in person——just to say you’ve been there.  But, for me to truly appreciate these places, I need to understand and enjoy their histories.  Otherwise Big Ben is just a clock.

I also saw Platform 9 3/4 at King’s Cross Station where wizards catch the Hogwarts Express.  A cart stacked with two trunks and Hedwig inside his cage is embedded into the brick wall.  Now that is a landmark I can appreciate because not only can I discover the living treasures of a foreign city, but I can also transport myself to the remote corners of my imagination.  Since I am referring to a work of fiction, this certainly makes for an easier transition out of reality.  What I mean to suggest is that the historic buildings hold very little power for me in the present because many of the sites are not being used for their original purposes.  These ancient monuments only come to life when I imagine their pasts.  

Yet this recreation of former glories proves difficult because the modern world engulfs the historic sites.  When I saw the Buckingham Palace, for example, I thought, “Now that’s a pretty nice house, but I don’t really care for the neighborhood.” 

There’s too much traffic, both in the form of cars and voyeuristic tourists clinging to the gates.  The famous guards, with their funny bearskin hats, stood like statues.  I was under the impression they never flinched, so I was quite surprised when one of the guards violently stomped his foot and yelled, “Get off the fence!”

The guards, it seems, are not so much responsible for protecting the royal family, but instead they have been relegated to babysitting ignorant tourists.  The outburst was intimidating.  I actually felt pleased to have witnessed this demonstrative reprimand.  Watching the guard suddenly freak out was way better than watching the guards clock out and clock in——the changing of the guard, in other words.  The popular tradition offers very little variation.  There is no thrill for me to watch an act of which I know the end result.  I know what to expect.  Thousands of tourists have seen the same act, but this guard’s angry outburst was unexpected, and all the better because of it. 

The next place on my must-see checklist was St. Paul’s Cathedral.  Before entering, I ordered fish and chips from a pub nearby and ate outside practically under the shadow of the church.  The view was wonderful and so was the food, despite the lack of salt.  The experience was all spectacularly British.

Outside the entrance of St. Paul’s, I saw a red double-decker bus that advertised the new Johnny Depp movie Transcendence, and I expected to feel a similar sensation upon opening the doors.

The church is massive, and the architecture is crafted in a way that goes beyond mere expertise and ingenuity.  Generally, I’m not a fan of that old style of painting where everyone looks slightly chubby, especially in their baby-fat cheeks.  As you can tell, I’m no art historian.  But I found the murals to be very rich in color.  The whole scene was so captivating that I didn’t know what to focus on.  My eyes feel a similar disorientation when I stare at a tattooed man’s sleeve:  I see everything at once but nothing in particular. 

Photographs were not allowed, but I’ve learned that I can’t take a proper picture inside of a church.  Great architecture is supposed to be symmetrical, but I find symmetrical photographs uninteresting.  St. Paul’s was the first magnificent church I visited during my trip.  Initially, I suspected I would vividly remember the interior for years to come.  But after visiting several famous churches, the disparate images get tangled in my memory.

Like many virginal rites, my first visit to a famous church may not have been the most climactic, but the experience was certainly memorable.  A choir was humming softly in the background.  Faint fires flickered on white candles.  The voices grew louder, and the sound reverberated off the walls.  I looked at all the paintings, the arches, and the statues perched high above.  I wondered how anyone could have such great skill, but I realized that if you were going to expend so much effort then you must do it for the right cause.  I rarely find myself in a place of worship, so I guess I never realized how much the image of the church was emblematic of the faith of its practitioners.

The creators of St. Paul’s Cathedral showed immense dedication because they intended to build a shrine that would reflect the strength of their faith.  Sometimes when I’m at work, I’m motivated to do well to increase my tips or to appease my boss in order to keep my job, but this kind of effort displayed in the craftsmanship of these great churches is unparalleled. Except during fits of existential crises, I’m not one to believe that the world operates on anything more than chance, but seeing St. Paul’s Cathedral gave me some doubts of my own beliefs. Surely, these sculptors and painters were so confident in their faith, or else I suspect they’d give half-assed efforts and slap something together not worth re-visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment