Friday, June 27, 2014

The Queen Next Door

On a whim, I decided to visit the Kensington Palace, the former residence of Queen Victoria.  


Even though I know very little about British history, I figured I’d take a peek inside.  I usually associate British aristocracy with haughty etiquette, puffy clothes, and numbing boredom.  But this exhibit illuminated the human qualities of the kings and queens. 

George I spent a lot of time in Hanover in the German territories, so when he became king of England he wasn’t very well versed in the English language.  Given these circumstances, his coronation seems very far-fetched to me.  Personally, I would’ve thought him under-qualified for the job.  How can you rule the people if you have difficulty understanding them?  I could not imagine voting for a president with a deficiency in the local tongue.  I would worry that he would sign documents he could not confidently decipher. 

But, of course, the English citizens didn’t elect their leaders back then.  If your superior died and you were next in line, you got the job.  Apparently, a lot of these kings and queens of European nations were related or were at least good chums.  That doesn’t seem fair.  I bet the poor and middle-class citizens had very little say in how their countries were run.  I understand now why certain Europeans settled in America while the rest tried to behead their rulers. 

When George I came over from Germany, he thought the Kensington Palace was drab, so he hired artists to create this marvelous staircase with portraits of himself and his friends having a jolly time.  Aside from this narcissistic contribution, the rest of George’s efforts did not interest me.

However, I found the exhibit on Queen Victoria to be very enlightening.  When she was a child, she had very few friends, and often her toys were her only company.  One room of the palace was devoted to her old playthings.  There was an old trunk filled with trains and basic amusements.  Whenever Victoria met Albert, who would later become king, she blossomed and found meaning in her life.  Her diary entries were written everywhere in the palace-turned-museum:  on the walls, on the mirrors, on the carpets.  She wrote that she hadn’t intended on marrying at such a young age, but she changed her mind after she met Albert.  Victoria struck me as a clingy, yet appreciative woman.  She didn’t have many close companions growing up, so she held on tightly to those she loved.

She had many children with her husband.  When I think of queens, I think of them as the mothers of their countries.  Monarchs have such a demanding job of maintaining the nation’s sovereignty that I suspect they rely on nannies to raise the kids.  But Victoria did her best to perform both jobs.  She said that to be a mother to her children, a loving wife to her husband, and the queen of a nation took all the strength one could muster.

When her husband Albert passed away, Victoria isolated herself.  She grieved for a very long time, but she was criticized for stepping out of the public eye.  To have a private life, for her, was impossible.  

I didn’t really care to see the lavish ballrooms and the gigantic closets filled with whale-boned dresses.  Those are the kinds of dresses in which women must turn sideways to fit through doorways.  I guess British aristocrats had to guess at a woman’s figure should he desire a mate at a royal ball. Those displays of wealth are off-putting.  Instead, I was intrigued by the human elements of the Kensington Palace.  The exhibit offered intimate glimpses into royal personalities.  The prim-and-proper façade dissolved.  Kings and queens became ordinary people. 


No comments:

Post a Comment