Friday, September 12, 2014

The Tourist Trap

Gloomy weather seems a frequent occurrence in the United Kingdom.  My original plan was to rent a bicycle and ride through Cardiff’s vast park by the River Taff.  As the precipitation and moderately cold temperature prevented me from enjoying such a pleasant ride, I was forced to entertain myself by traveling inward.

At first I read Dark Star Safari by Paul Theroux in which he recounts his journey from Cairo, Egypt to Cape Town, South Africa.  Having written several books about his train trips through Africa and Asia, Theroux is well known in travel literature.  He taught in Uganda and Kenya during the 1960s and speaks a few local languages, so he knows the African continent quite intimately. 

I went to Africa for a month when I volunteered to teach English in a small Ghanaian town generally unfrequented by foreigners.  Compared to Theroux, I am a novice at navigating dusty back-roads in remote areas.  Initially to my annoyance, Theroux flaunts his ability to confidently traverse the continent by using desolate and often dangerous routes.  Undoubtedly, this type of travel is unnerving if you are accustomed to constant mile markers, gas stations, and general signs of civilization. 

I once traveled nine hours on three separate makeshift buses that sped down pothole-ridden roads.  These “bus drivers” are seemingly intent on killing everyone inside.  A collision with another uninspected hunk of metal seems inevitable.  My friend, who had been to Africa before, advised me not to look out the windshield, or I’d only grow frantic.  The drivers always go insanely fast, and they often drive in the wrong lane to avoid giant craters in the road.

When this happens, your life is out of your hands.  You gave up control when you decided to board the rickety van stuffed with sweaty Africans.  These things crash all the time, but you try to forget that.  Seatbelts are a luxury, and therefore not included in this ride.  The van can comfortably seat eight passengers, but there are twenty of you crammed inside this AC-less machine.  If you wreck, chances are, one of you is flying out the windshield.         

Theroux argues that tourists avoid these dangerous routes and instead fly into the international airports and then proceed on paved roads to luxurious lodges situated near safari parks.  In the process, Theroux believes, tourists completely bypass the real Africa:  the bustling streets, the questionable hotel rooms, and the armed bandits lurking on the outskirts of town.  Real travelers, the author seems to suggest, cross borders on foot, even that means being shot at by shifta gangs in the bush.

With the ceaseless rain the background, I reflected on this in the relative warmth of a Welsh hostel.  With nowhere to roam without getting soaked, I pondered the difference between a tourist and a traveler. 

In certain crowds, the word tourist harbors a negative connotation.  They are often viewed as unwanted, ignorant pests who only visit the monuments and restaurants highlighted in their Lonely Planet travel guides.  The places constantly filled with an endless tide of tourists are deemed traps.  Once a popular spot becomes overrun with foreign visitors, a location may lose its authenticity and become tacky. Locals and seasoned travelers avoid these places as though they literally are infested.

Before I entered a new city, I was usually nervous because I didn’t know my way around.  Most of all, I wanted to hide the fact that I was a tourist, as though it were a rash I was ashamed to display.  I realize now that this sensation was caused by my fear of failure combined with an American inclination to conquer and control my environment.  I was one of those stubborn roamers too proud to admit that I was lost and needed help.  In order to reach this epiphany, I needed to struggle with my self-image.  I needed to accept that I was a tourist and convince myself that it isn’t a pejorative label.    
 
In the beginning of my trip, I took awful pictures of grand architecture.  I would stop at a famous building, lean back, and compose a tilted picture that fit roughly 10% of the building within the frame. 


Some of my pictures of landmarks included other people taking even worse and more titled pictures of the same landmark. 

I took these photos because I felt like I had to.  I envisioned upon my return that my friends would ask me, for instance, if I saw Big Ben in London.  How could I go to London and not see Big Ben?  Everyone else apparently felt this same urge, but why did we believe a visit to Big Ben was compulsory?

Did I snap a photo of Big Ben to prove that I was there and that I held that clock tower under my gaze for the briefest of moments?  Or did I take that picture so my friends and family back home could travel vicariously through my eyes and my amateur photography?  Or am I merely preserving these moments for future bouts of nostalgia? 

I suppose I took a picture of Big Ben for all of those reasons, but the puzzling thing is that I already knew what it looked like before I visited London for the first time.  I was making no discovery to show off to my friends.  Even they, some of whom never left America, can picture Big Ben in their minds thanks to Peter Pan and Google Images. 

Modern technology has certainly made the world smaller and debunked several myths about far-away lands.  Although I am sitting at my dining room table in St. Petersburg, Florida, I can see Big Ben on my laptop screen.  So what was I doing in front of that clock tower in London? What difference does it make that I see these monuments in person?    

Honestly, sometimes there is no difference.  I saw Big Ben in London, and months after my trip I’ve never thought about it again until now.  A common argument is that you should visit these places before you die just to say you’ve been there.  I have found that crossing off monuments like items on a grocery list is a very unfulfilling process.  My life is no more enriched because I laid eyes on the bricks that when combined create the clock tower that is Big Ben.  I don’t recommend traveling to see things, but rather to change the way you see things.  However, there is no sure-fire way of accomplishing this, so you have to wander around.  You can’t expect to be moved by every attraction and every city.  But by having the courage to leave home, you increase your odds of stumbling upon something wonderful, even if it means you’re following a horde of those “pesky tourists.”   

If I never went on the walking tour in Edinburgh, I never would’ve found the evidence to hail it as my favorite city.  And I made that discovery while on a touristy jaunt with strangers.  While in Philadelphia, I visited Independence Hall in and felt nothing, but I had a transcendent experience with a cheesesteak at Jim's Steaks, the number one recommended restaurant on South Street.  In a similar fashion, I was unmoved by the spectacle of the Mona Lisa but in awe of the sheer size and bloody history of the Coliseum. 

Although I hesitate to join large crowds, I often found myself in one, lining up to see a prized possession of the world.  I realize I was being hypocritical when I labeled tourists as unoriginal and pretentious with their Selfies in front of the Eiffel Tower.  I thought I was somehow different from the masses.  I didn’t want to be engulfed by a featureless blob and lose my individuality to the herd. I did my best to navigate the back-streets, but inevitably I found myself at a mainstream destination.  I simply could not escape the current.  I couldn’t visit Paris and bypass the Eiffel Tower.  Anybody who does that is just begging to be different for the sake of being different.

My shyness and initial discomfort in the claustrophobic presence of strangers motivated me to find a quiet spot for dinner or to appreciate a solitary view——just a sliver all to myself.  But I realized that I was in the wrong place for this.  What I was looking for can be found in the wilderness or in dodgy alleys, where I have reason to fear the company of bears and bandits.  But at Europe’s popular destinations, I joined my fellow tourists, and we paraded down well-worn streets.           

No comments:

Post a Comment