Monday, November 17, 2014

A Good Day to Die at Prater Fun Park

I’m not amused by amusement parks whether they’re in the United States or in Austria.  We were in Prater in Vienna, home to a very old Ferris wheel called the Wiener Riesenrad.  This relic was a marvel to look at, but its age further dissuaded me from hopping onboard.  Before leaving the United States, I was convinced that my country was singularly serving up unhealthy and shallow forms of fun.  I was quite pleased to discover that America is not alone.  


Even the classy European city of Vienna featured junk food kiosks selling expensive heart attacks accompanied with tawdry entertainment.  Pleasure centers ranged from scare-houses to vomit-inducing, death-defying metal contraptions that fling the willing guinea pigs higher than humans should find themselves without standing on a sturdy staircase or descending in an airplane flown by an experienced pilot. 

Needless to say, I don’t stand in lines to shuffle my lunch inside my stomach like a load of laundry in a spin cycle.  Let us consider the matter rationally:

Before walking around Prater, I ate a kasekrainer, a fatty, oily sausage that could satiate a heavyset man for three days.  The sausage along with a bottle of Coca-Cola cost me roughly five euros.  If I were to board the Ecstasy for three euros, I would be thrashed around in a cramped box and tipped upside-down while spinning in directions unaccustomed by my cochlea and my brain.  Eating the greasy bratwurst in itself is an excuse to spew one’s guts.  However, if one adds rapid motion and gravity-defying stunts to the equation, one can easily see that I would have invested eight euros merely to throw up.  Then I would have to pay even more to replace the lunch I just lost on the pavement. 

Aside from thoughts of nausea and indigestion, I considered bravery’s role when dealing with certain rides that instill fear into those gawking at the deathtrap safely from the ground.  I saw a ride in which you are to sit in this robotic hand connected to a stiff mechanical arm.  The hand rotates violently like a mixer obliterating cookie dough.  The arm swings back and forth until the victims’ swiveling heads are pointing directly at the concrete over fifty feet below. 


A group of onlookers, including myself, stared up at those shrieking in the sky.  Who are the brave ones?  Is it courageous to climb aboard this relatively safe contraption that is likely to cause both excitement and discomfort?  Or is it more courageous to be the odd one out who waits alone and watches his crazy friends?  The person in the sky conquers nerves and images of himself flying briefly before splashing onto the pavement.  The person on the ground, however, conquers peer pressure, and he is not afraid to look out of place.  It is normal to ride the rides at an amusement park.  To do the opposite of what everyone else is doing——isn’t that bravery?         

We spectators stood, rooted to the ground, and questioned the riders’ sanity.  Could it be that we were silently asking ourselves why we didn’t feel that hunger to put ourselves in unnecessary danger?  Or maybe we were perversely seeking an opportunity to witness a terrible accident and a gruesome death. 

Amusement parks make a mockery of mortality.  High cholesterol food like oozy nacho cheese and fried dough are slow killers, whereas one design flaw could instantly crumble a roller coaster.  Every now and then the general public abandons rationality and tempts death from a safe distance.  In this case, I preferred to live dangerously in vicarious fashion and achieve a sort of contact high. 

No comments:

Post a Comment